I made the mold back out of a piece of scrap wood, with nails for registration pins. I needed to drill out the back for rivets on the loop terminals, and I decided to carve out the back side of the hook a little bit to give it some more thickness. To make sure everything lined up, I put a little acrylic paint on the front side of the mold, then pressed the two halves together to transfer it. It gave me enough of an idea of where the edges would line up so that I could put things in more or less the right spot. I poured up a few sets, but I started getting some discoloration in the metal (probably from impurities from the wood) so I only ended up with two usable sets of loops. I cut the old hardware off the belt and installed the new bits. So far, it looks like a winner!( Read the rest of this entry » )
Mirrored from Lorenzo's Workshop.